Wednesday, April 12, 2017

TONE OF VOICE IS EVERYTHING


Who are the children?  Really.   Who are these little beings that come through us, into our daily lives and bring an energy filled body, wanting only to play, touch, laugh and be who they are?   Are they simply innocent little humans that need to be taught, raised and channeled into a world of rules, regulations, expectations and programmed systems?

Just wondering.  Actually, I'm not wondering.  Simply by recalling my early years as a child surrounded by an adult world filled with what I was supposed to do, prepare for and live out, I even wondered then what this world was all about.

 My secret life was about wondering.  Then there was my uncle Solly, a professional photographer, lover of music, and someone who I could sit with for hours and listen to his speaking voice, his stories, his sense of equality with me, even when I was still wearing diapers.

His voice remained constant in tone and respect whether he spoke to me or to the adults around me.
I didn't consciously know how he saw me, but I felt his equality with me.  I was not a "less than"
human because of my size or age.  To him, I was ageless, as most children are.  He was the one adult
person that spoke to me with the same tone of voice as he used with my parents or other adults

In later years when he was in his eighties, and about 30 years after I last saw him, I unexpectedly visited with him.  I sat across from him in his big house in Los Angeles, and told him how he was the one human being that taught me about equal respect at a heart and soul level.  I told him that his simple equal tone of voice allowed me to stay connected with being myself the rest of my life.

He cried, held my hand, and I continued.  "By being yourself, respectful and simply kind and loving, I got to keep that part of myself alive.....and to share your gift to me with others. 

He was another angel in disguise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment